Ugh... a week since my last update on the FS budget challenge... :/ To be fair, work has been crazy! And, I'm battling a horrible cold (very low grade fever, sore throat, hacking cough, exhaustion). Icky!
- Breakfasts have all been cold cereal/oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, and the occasional granola bar, with the exception of french toast on Sunday.
- Lunches all "the usual" stuff - pbj, lunchmeat sandwiches, leftover soup one day, all with a piece of fruit, and some other something - pirate's booty, chips, graham bunnies, etc.
- Dinners - 11/8 was leftover soup; 11/9 the kids were at a sitter, Mr. A and I ate out (cheaply, only spending $15 for both of us); 11/10 was salad with homemade chicken strips; 11/11 - "Mr. A's favorite chicken," rice, peas and carrots; 11/12 we had a casserole (ground beef, shredded potatoes, homemade versions of cream-of soups, celery, green beans, seasonings - not very pretty, but pretty well received); 11/13 I wanted chili and Mr. A wanted lasagna, so I cooked both. We ate the chili, as the lasagna wasn't ready before church; 11/14 was lasagna and salad.
- Snacks - popcorn, ice cream (2 nights), fruit, veggies (carrots and celery), cheese and crackers, chips and salsa
- Drinks - milk, water, juice (boxes in lunches), iced tea
I have done some shopping since my last post as well:
1 bag potato chips $2.99
1 bag organic tortilla chips (coupon) $1.99
1 12-ct pkg Pirate Booty (sale) $4.49
1 box whole wheat crackers $2.09
2 boxes organic granola bars (sale) $6.00
1 lb organic carrots $1.99
1 box woven wheat cereal $2.89
1 12-ct applesauce pouches $6.64
1 carton OJ (1/2 gallon) $2.29
3 jars natural PB (B2GO + coupon) $9.00
2.75 lb ground beef $10.17
3.35 lb italian sausage $10.08
1 box lasagna noodles (sale) $1.50
1 lb mozzarella (sale) $3.99
1 lb ricotta $4.99
1 lb frozen chopped spinach $1.00
1 jar spaghetti sauce $1.50
1 can each kidney/black beans $1.50
3.75 lb honeycrisp apples (sale) $7.50
2.3 lb bananas $1.36
1 sweet onion $0.75
Milk (1 gallon at health food store) $4.85
Total = $89.56
Running total = 236.59
Remaining balance for the month = $438.41
*So, with over 1/2 of the month left, I still have well over $400. I'm hoping to feel better soon and to add more variety to our menu. Breakfast is something I really struggle with in terms of offering a variety of options. Mornings are simply chaos in our home. In fact, prior to this month, most morning meals were "whatever you can eat in the car" on the way to wherever. We've switched things up a bit, and Mr. A is now getting Scotch up and allowing her to sit with him and eat breakfast before getting dressed. We're also purposing to wake the boys up before my shower, so they can get dressed, then eat. It's tough, though. I'd love to make something hot and fresh every morning - but I just can't. I do make extra (pancakes, waffles, etc.) when I make them on the weekend, and then freeze them. Scotch has loved having those as options the past couple of days. I'm planning on doing some baking this weekend, so we'll be able to have fewer pre-packaged items in lunches and as snacks next week. :)
Alright, have a great weekend.
1 month ago